Yoga Stretch for back and Hip
- Sit on floor, bend both knees and bring feet together. Using hands, open feet up like a book, pressing knees toward floor with elbows (as shown). If you want more of a stretch, extend arms out in front of you placing palms on floor.
- Stay here for five breaths (about 30 seconds).
Happy Baby Series
- Lie flat on back. Bend left knee and hold onto the outside edge of flexed foot with left hand (as shown). Keep left arm on the outside of left leg.
- Gently use your upper body strength to press left knee to floor below armpit. Try not to tense shoulders or chest.
- Stay like this for five deep breaths, then switch legs.
- Then do both legs together for another five breaths.
- Sit with right knee bent and left leg extended straight behind body (as shown). If your hips are flexible, inch right foot away from body. Make sure left hip is pointing down toward mat. If it begins to open up toward ceiling, draw right foot back in toward body.
- Rest hands on hips, walk hands out in front of body, allowing torso to rest over right knee or raise arms overhead.
- Hold here for five breaths, then repeat on other side.
- Sit on floor with legs straight out in front of body. Bend right knee and place knee, shin and foot on floor so leg is parallel with pelvis. Bend left knee and place it on top so both knees, shins and ankles are stacked (as shown).
- To make this pose more intense, place hands in front of shins and walk palms out as far as you can, folding torso over legs.
- Stay here for five breaths, slowly release, then switch legs.