Yoga Posture for Hair Growth
Does having to comb your hair sends shivers down your spine? You are not alone, because excess hair fall is a common problem these days. Try these yoga poses which can help stop hair loss. However –as in most things – prevention is better than cure. Read on to learn how the ancient science of yoga can help protect your crowning glory from hair loss.
The condition of your hair is directly related to your general health – it is in fact a barometer of your health.
The main causes of hair loss are stress, hormonal disorders, bad eating habits, diseases, drugs, hair dyes, genetic disorders, smoking and dandruff. Your hair fall could be due to one or more of these causes.
Yoga and Meditation to Prevent Hair Fall:
Doing yoga and meditation to restrict hair-loss will not only give you healthy hair, but also benefit your whole system. It can improve your mental well-being too. Yoga will help enhance circulation of blood in the scalp, improve digestion and reduce anxiety and stress too.
Yoga Asanas that can help to control hair-loss:
All forward bending asana enhances blood circulation in the head or the crown region which in turn nourishes the roots of the hair. As a result one can observe the changes in the tresses over a period of time. Here are a few asanas you can try! You have to practice them with consistence if you are to get results.
List of all the Yoga Asanas for Hair Growth
- Adho Mukha Savasana
Standing forward pose, helps in reducing fatigue and tiredness. Good in menopause and also improves digestion.
It reduces gas, and helps digestion. The muscles of lower back are strengthened. It also reduces fat of abdomen and buttocks.
It helps to nourish the thyroid gland, which means healthy function of respiratory, alimentary, genital and nervous system.
It is also called diamond pose. Unlike other asanas it can be done immediately after eating your food. It helps in urinary disorders, weight loss and digestion and also reduces gas in stomach.
Apana refers to the prana or energy of you digestive tract, that aids in purifying and eliminating toxins. And this pose gives clarity to the mind. It relieves constipation.
1. Kapalbhati Pranayam
The brain cells receive more oxygen so it is good for the nervous system, removes toxins from the body and cures obesity and diabetes.
2. Bhastrika Pranayam
It helps remove excess wind, bile and phlegm in the body and purifies the nervous system; preventing all kinds of diseases in the body.
It helps to treat heart problems, asthma and arthritis, depression, migraine, stress and eye and ear problems also.
Home Remedies for Hair Growth:
These tips can be helpful for maintaining the health of your tresses.
Disclaimer – These tips can be used in general conditions, but for special conditions, medical consultation is mandatory.
1. You can try washing your hair once a week with sour buttermilk, followed by rinsing it out with an herbal shampoo.
2. Aloe Vera pulp can be applied on the hair and scalp before bath to prevent excessive hair fall and premature greying.
3. Mehendi powder made into a paste with curds and applied to the hair is recommended, but this remedy is not recommended for people with respiratory and obesity problems.
4. Include bottle gourd, snake gourd and pumpkin in your diet.
5. Watermelon, bananas, chikoo, pears, dry figs and black raisins are good for hair.
6. Include jaggery and sugar candy in your diet (provided you are not diabetic).
7. Take sufficient, nutritious food. Get sufficient sleep, about 8 hours.
8. Avoid stress and conflict. Practice yoga and meditation every day.
You can also consult a certified Ayurvedic doctor who can recommend treatment specifically according to the type and condition of your hair.
The above tips were written in consultation with
Dr. Ashwin Patel of Sri Sri Ayurveda Panchakarma, Bangalore.
Other Things to Remember for Hair Growth:
- Along with doing yoga, looking after your diet is also important. Eating a balanced diet comprising of fresh fruits, green leafy vegetables, pulses, sprouts, cereals and dairy products gives you nutrients important for hair growth.
- Ensure you do not have dandruff. Keep your scalp scrupulously clean. Ditto for your towels and pillow covers.
- Washing hair with neem water, keeping your hair clean by washing it 3 to 2 times a week, massaging hair with coconut oil, brushing hair regularly is very good for your hair growth.
- Avoid using any harsh chemicals and many styling products for hair.